Cafe Chat: Book Title  

Saturday, July 26, 2008




What would be the Title of a book about your life?

Dot 2 Dot

As a young girl growing up, Saturdays in my family were simply "Silly Days"! My younger brother, baby sister, and I could hardly wait each week for the day to arrive. We would pile up in the living room, watch cartoons, munch on candy, and color or play games like connect the Dots.

"Connecting the dots" always fascinated me. You start with a piece of paper with numbered or lettered dots and begin to connect the lines, one at a time. Sometimes they were easy, sometimes they were difficult. One step at a time you draw from dot 2 dot until a picture begins to form. Sometimes you could guess right away what the final image would look like, sometimes it was harder to figure out. If you follow the directions carefully you end up with a perfect picture every time.

As I grew older I began to think "If only life were as easy as connecting the dots." Instead I felt as if I was holding a piece of paper with half of the image missing. Trying to move from point A to point B can sometimes be difficult. Especially when you are convinced you already know the final answer... but it doesn't seem to fit together right!

No mattered how hard I tried to connect my own life with real meaning, purpose and vision...Well it just kept on looking like scribble and doodles!

It took a long time for me to realize the problem.

I was not listening to God.

I was not reading the directions.

I was simply trying my best to make it all work on my own. It took me a long time to understand the answers. Lots of heartache, struggles, loss and pain for me to let go of the pencil!

I finally realized that I could not connect the random dots of my life! I had to submit, surrender the control, the pencil, to God and allow him to connect the Pieces of my life. It is a beautiful process! I give up control and Listen...God leads the way and makes the connections. I make mistakes...He erases them away for me!

I don't know exactly what the final picture will reveal in me. But it is getting clearer every day. Life is connecting, pieces are forming and God is still revealing the Big Picture. I can't wait to see........


Isaiah 30:21 (NIV)

21 Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it."

Psalm 73:24 (NIV)

You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory.


Isaiah 48:17 (NIV)

This is what the LORD says— your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: "I am the LORD your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go.




AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Email this post


14 comments: to “ Cafe Chat: Book Title

  • Lily
    July 26, 2008 at 10:56 AM  

    Renee...I am so blessed to even be one of those dots in your life. You are an amazing woman of God, with a wonderful family, and such a big heart.

    If I could name a book after you It would be "Empty Hands," because you are always giving and hold nothing back...

  • Sam
    July 26, 2008 at 12:38 PM  

    This is an absolutely lovely and very profound post. How many of us get to see the big picture as God sees it? I think that we should all be so lucky as to get the merest glimpse of it!

  • Anonymous
    July 26, 2008 at 2:38 PM  

    Very well said! Isn't it amazing what He can make of us when we release ourselves into His hands?

  • Toknowhim
    July 26, 2008 at 4:06 PM  

    Awesome title, and so appropriate for us all :) Thanks for participating in the Cafe Chat weekly... Your input can and does encourage others :)

    Is your church the Mosaic Church pastored my Erwin McManus? Just wondering???

    Blessings, Kim

  • Denise
    July 26, 2008 at 4:50 PM  

    Such an awesome post, be blessed.

  • Rebecca
    July 26, 2008 at 5:07 PM  

    This is an amazing analogy!

  • Edie
    July 26, 2008 at 8:32 PM  

    What a Great analogy! I loved Dot to Dot too when I was growing up. This was very insightful. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :D

  • Renee Lewis
    July 26, 2008 at 8:44 PM  

    Kim,
    We are not the same Mosaic LA.
    We are however affiliated with them. Our pastors are good friends and get together each year.
    My pastor is Naeem Fazal. I serve in the Family Ministry of our church as the Discovery Lane Director.
    You can check out our Mosaic at
    http://www.mosaicchurch.tv/pages/page.asp?page_id=19162

    Thanks for the words of encouragement. I really enjoy participating in Cafe Chat and am encouraging some of my friends to join us!
    In His Service,
    Renee

  • Anonymous
    July 26, 2008 at 9:36 PM  

    WOW!

    This is just an awesome post!! I am so floored and humbled by your words!

    Thank you so much for stopping by the blog and commenting (and praise God that the commenting seems to be working now..lol).

    Your words were so sweet!

  • Chel's Leaving a Legacy
    July 26, 2008 at 11:18 PM  

    Hi Renee,

    Well I fully intended to say "What a great analogy!" But after reading your comments...it seems everyone else thought so too! :-)

    It really was a lovely picture of what has been done for us. I'm so thankful, and it's obvious you are too.

    Thanks for stopping by today. Your kind words were a blessing to me.

  • Sam
    July 27, 2008 at 8:46 AM  

    Am back to let you know that I have tagged you over here!!

  • Peggy
    July 27, 2008 at 1:07 PM  

    Bless you Renee...Perfect title..well thought out and connected Dot 2 Dot!

    Very inspiring and I loved the analogy of "surrendering the pencil".
    How God can erase our past and pain!
    WOW! Halleluia! I can certainly see
    His hand on you and your gift of writing: connecting each dot..each step and leading us to HIS Scriptures. He does have the Big Picture and we just need to get it in order and keep following the dots. May your life dots continue with such a beautiful focus, pattern and purpose! I'm amazed by
    your childhood delight being turned into a SUPER book title! Be blessed

  • Laurie Ann
    July 27, 2008 at 10:39 PM  

    Oh, what a blessing your post was to me tonight. Struggling to connect the dots is often hard, but praise God we have Scripture like the ones you mentioned, showing us the way. Thank you so much for the sweet comment on my book title post. It warmed my heart.

  • Tiffanie Lloyd
    July 28, 2008 at 9:57 PM  

    Letting go of the pencil is definitely a process. I often turn the reigns over to God only to pull them back again. I love your analogy, and you mention that God erases our mistakes. I know that "your picture" will be beautiful.

    Thank you for the comment on my blog. And your right, I can look back now and see that God was with me even then.

    I enjoyed reading through your site and I will definitely be back.

 

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster